Do you see another chart disaster coming?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
madsnielsen

Do you see another chart disaster coming?

#1 Post by madsnielsen »

I just preordered the "Did you see me coming?" singles from iTunes and noticed that the expected release date is 29 May 2009. That would mean that the preorders and the first 3 day of sales of the single would count for week 22 and not week 23 where the physical format is released. Is it totally impossible to do anything right at EMI/Parlophone? :wall: :wall: :wall:

UPDATE: In the UK iTunes store the release date is 31 May 2009. That's still one day to early and could very possible mean that the single would chart lower.
Mads Nielsen
If people say I'm crazy, I tell 'em that it's true

Undertaker

Re: Do you see another chart disaster coming?

#2 Post by Undertaker »

The 31st May is a Sunday, isn't it? Sunday is when a new week starts.

Den

#3 Post by Den »

Yes the charts start on Sunday and end on Saturday so it all should be fine. the album Yes was put on Itunes on the Friday so thats what messed up the sales.

Pandemonium73

#4 Post by Pandemonium73 »

I hope that things will run smoothly this time!

madsnielsen

#5 Post by madsnielsen »

Den wrote:Yes the charts start on Sunday and end on Saturday so it all should be fine. the album Yes was put on Itunes on the Friday so thats what messed up the sales.
Okay then everything is fine. I wonder why it is released in Denmark 2 days earlier?
Mads Nielsen
If people say I'm crazy, I tell 'em that it's true

Fugitive1979

#6 Post by Fugitive1979 »

Yes, I do.
:| :o

Axonthenet

#7 Post by Axonthenet »

madsnielsen wrote:Okay then everything is fine. I wonder why it is released in Denmark 2 days earlier?
Here in Italy the new single will be released two days before the proper UK release but it is normal because here the release dates are always set on friday.
-------------------------------------------------
Axonthenet official blog
http://axonthenet.splinder.com

DavePSB

#8 Post by DavePSB »

With very little promotion and a terrible video I'll be surprised if this makes top 20.
Chris: "I don't really like MP3's. It's like having a 1 megapixel digital camera."

Click for PSB | Euphoric (rarely updated now)

PopArt

#9 Post by PopArt »

Yeah, I fear we may be about to see the first PSB single to chart below the Top 30. The charts are tough these days and for all sorts of reasons I just cant see it being even a minor hit. Such a shame as I rather like the song.
I'm always waiting...

kdx125

#10 Post by kdx125 »

Currently 95 in itunes album downloads (neil cover - EP)

kdx125

#11 Post by kdx125 »

..........and 91 (Chris & Neil - Single)

kimphilby

#12 Post by kimphilby »

Digital sales in the UK from Sunday, May 31st will count towards the chart announced on June 7th.

Its a hard one to call this. Sales on the singles chart are getting a bit higher week on week at the moment and Love etc's 13000+ sales, had it been released last week, wouldn't have got anywhere near as high as the #14 placing that song enjoyed.

I can't see Did you see me coming?? selling that amount. A second single, already available for months and given away for free to PSB fans and bigots, gaining very little airplay, no tv promo so far as I'm aware...well, they're relying heavily on their loyal fanbase to download the full ep bundles to give this release an even half-way respectable chart position.

I'll say around 8000 sales in week 1, resulting in a chart position between 25-35.

Top 30 would be perfectly respectable, statistically,but is it going to sell any more copies of Yes?

Ghost within this house

#13 Post by Ghost within this house »

It won't shift copies of Yes, but was that ever the point? They are being indulged by Parlophone in being allowed to indulge us, the fans.

Having said that, I still hold out an irrational hope for Pandemonium as a tour single... but the Record Company will probably only allow a download-only release a la Integral.

In other news, if Tom Stephan has remixed Up and down, why isn't it appearing on any of the digital formats? Or is it going to be on a promo? Hmmm
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

kimphilby

#14 Post by kimphilby »

No 3rd single I think. And definitely not Pandemonium, its way too similar to Did you see me coming?? (they are album cousins).

Even Numb was really a nod towards Concrete, which came out a week later

E-Mail Vampire

#15 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

Yeah tis ok for a Sunday iTunes release