Australian News Roundup

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: Australian News Roundup

#721 Post by Greendrake » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 11:05 am

About one year to wait to see Dreamworld in Australia:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainm ... 32dd5f4ddb
Only the duck can show you the stars!

MrTennant

#722 Post by MrTennant » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:42 pm

What’s on those early cassettes? Things we’ve never heard or different versions of songs we know?

Both. Something no one has ever heard is the first version of West End Girls with different music. it’s more punky, at the end I start shouting ‘Sometimes you’re better off dead’. It’s probably too embarrassing to release. One or two years ago I was listening to the cassette demos and I’ve always liked this song we wrote on at the time we wrote Rent. It’s called New Boy. I was at Smash Hits at the time. It’s about two girls on the phone in some suburban area, they see a new boy in town and are talking about him. It’s got a very strong melody, I’ve always remembered it. Anyway Chris and I finally finished it off after however many years and it’s the b-side of the next single. It was actually written the same day as Rent.

Future Lover

#723 Post by Future Lover » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm

Yes, we've all read it without you reposting it, thank you.

Piotrek

#724 Post by Piotrek » Fri 07 Feb 2020, 2:01 pm

My signed print from JB HiFi had a big thumb print on the top.
I contacted JB and they sent out the last spare one which arrived today and it's perfect.

My order from the official shop arrived today as well. The cardboard mailer was battered to a pulp, but the LP and CD plus the two signed prints inside were perfect.

Rusty

#725 Post by Rusty » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 12:05 am

Greendrake wrote:
Thu 06 Feb 2020, 11:05 am
About one year to wait to see Dreamworld in Australia:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainm ... 32dd5f4ddb
Care to elaborate? I don’t fancy subscribing to this trashy rag just to read one article.
But it feels like the flight
Of the von Trapps, does that mean it's war?

Greendrake

#726 Post by Greendrake » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 1:19 am

Rusty wrote:
Sat 08 Feb 2020, 12:05 am
Care to elaborate? I don’t fancy subscribing to this trashy rag just to read one article.
I didn't subscribe either, but the article shows in full if that same link is opened from the Twitter post of the author (I only realised it requires subscription, if opened otherwise, after opening it from my post above).

Here is the relevant part anyway:
Good news for local Pet Shop Boys fans – their Greatest Hits tour is likely to visit Australia early 2021.

“People have been trying to lure us back there for a few years, we’ve never quite understood our career in Australia,” Tennant says. “There is an offer, I think a tour will probably happen, it’s vaguely pencilled in for the end of your summer. It is about time, though.”
Only the duck can show you the stars!

billjermaine

#727 Post by billjermaine » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 2:44 am

Omg who found this?! :shock:

How sad that they were hoping to make it to Australia the following year (1987) but wouldn't get here till 1994.

Note how young, innocent and uncynical they were around that time when it was all a big new adventure and radio was their friend.

Sage

#728 Post by Sage » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 3:54 am

Got my JB HIFI copy of the Special Edition of Hotspot today. It says on the tax invoice the artist is "Pet Shop Boys (do not order)".
billjermaine wrote:
Sat 08 Feb 2020, 2:44 am

How sad that they were hoping to make it to Australia the following year (1987) but wouldn't get here till 1994.

Note how young, innocent and uncynical they were around that time when it was all a big new adventure and radio was their friend.
It's really not an obscure video. It's currently the 6th result from searching "pet shop boys interview" in Youtube, and it's not a recent upload either.
Who knows why they didn't come here in '87, but oh well.

If anyone else is curious, setlist.fm has a list of all performances by country and by state.
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-ma ... 6ae70.html

Rusty

#729 Post by Rusty » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 8:30 am

Greendrake wrote:
Sat 08 Feb 2020, 1:19 am
Rusty wrote:
Sat 08 Feb 2020, 12:05 am
I didn't subscribe either, but the article shows in full if that same link is opened from the Twitter post of the author (I only realised it requires subscription, if opened otherwise, after opening it from my post above).

Here is the relevant part anyway:
Good news for local Pet Shop Boys fans – their Greatest Hits tour is likely to visit Australia early 2021.

“People have been trying to lure us back there for a few years, we’ve never quite understood our career in Australia,” Tennant says. “There is an offer, I think a tour will probably happen, it’s vaguely pencilled in for the end of your summer. It is about time, though.”
Thanks for that! Interesting read. Looking forward to hearing New Boy, the b-side of their next single. I don’t believe a 4th single off Hotspot has been announced yet has it?
But it feels like the flight
Of the von Trapps, does that mean it's war?

vincenzosz

#730 Post by vincenzosz » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 10:04 am

billjermaine wrote:
Sat 08 Feb 2020, 2:44 am

This is the best explanation for their name. Even though I’ve always liked their band name thought it suited them. :)