Lead Singles Vs. Lead Single....

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Lead Singles Vs. Lead Single....

#1 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 3:07 pm

Does anyone think we should go back to having TWO lead singles from a forthcoming album instead of the now standard ONE?
Please had West End Girls and Love Comes Quickly before its release (3 if you count the first Opportunities)
Actually had Its A Sin and What Have i, consequently, both became high charters.
Behaviour only had So Hard as the lead single, consequently Being Boring limped into the UK top 20.
Very had Can You Forgive Her and Go West.....both became huge top 5 hits
Bilingual had Before and Se A Vida Es...again, both were top 10 hits
Nightlife had I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more and New York City Boy before its release
Release had the one, Home And Dry, consequently the second release, I Get Along barely troubled the UK top 20
Fundamental only had one...I'm with stupid went top ten but Minimal, released after the album, limped into the top 20 for one week.
I think going back to two lead singles before an album comes out would give the boys more exposure to the casual fan and thus creating more sales. In an age when the public can cherry pick album tracks from itunes many artists will, and are, stuggling to get a second big hit from an album after the album is available. Imagine how higher Minimal would have charted if it was released a month after I'm with stupid, and two weeks before Fundamental, or Being Boring was released before Behaviour, or I get along before Release (ah...maybe not that one!! :P )
is is and isnt isnt

geowayne

Re: Lead Singles Vs. Lead Single....

#2 Post by geowayne » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 3:29 pm

Excellent observation and analysis. I think you've got something there.

Janet Street-Porter

#3 Post by Janet Street-Porter » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 3:31 pm

1. The single is dead.

2. The casual fan couldn't care less about PSB.

3. It doesn't matter anyway.

Their best hope of having a big hit at the moment is re-inventing themselves as a retro female white soul singer and Neil getting a beehive.

Fugitive1979

#4 Post by Fugitive1979 » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 4:49 pm

Janet Street-Porter wrote:It doesn't matter anyway.
That would be a good title for a PSB song.
:| :o

Radiophonic

#5 Post by Radiophonic » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 5:12 pm

Janet Street-Porter wrote:
Their best hope of having a big hit at the moment is re-inventing themselves as a retro female white soul singer and Neil getting a beehive.
Or Neil and Chris writing a song for Duffy.

Truly I don't think it matters. As long as they continue to release songs, in whatever format, I don't really care about hit singles anymore.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Kris

#6 Post by Kris » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 5:16 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:Does anyone think we should go back to having TWO lead singles from a forthcoming album instead of the now standard ONE?
Please had West End Girls and Love Comes Quickly before its release (3 if you count the first Opportunities)
Actually had Its A Sin and What Have i, consequently, both became high charters.
Behaviour only had So Hard as the lead single, consequently Being Boring limped into the UK top 20.
Nightlife had I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more and New York City Boy before its release
Release had the one, Home And Dry, consequently the second release, I Get Along barely troubled the UK top 20
Fundamental only had one...I'm with stupid went top ten but Minimal, released after the album, limped into the top 20 for one week.
I think going back to two lead singles before an album comes out would give the boys more exposure to the casual fan and thus creating more sales. In an age when the public can cherry pick album tracks from itunes many artists will, and are, stuggling to get a second big hit from an album after the album is available. Imagine how higher Minimal would have charted if it was released a month after I'm with stupid, and two weeks before Fundamental, or Being Boring was released before Behaviour, or I get along before Release (ah...maybe not that one!! :P )
It's a nice analysis but unfortunately the market has changed and record companies are more and more reluctant to release singles because in the vast majority of cases they make a loss. Very few acts these days, even successful ones, release more than one single before the album.

Also, forgive me for being pedantic but Can You Forgive Her wasn't a top five hit (though of course it darn well should have been!).
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Janet Street-Porter

#7 Post by Janet Street-Porter » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 5:43 pm

Kris wrote:It's a nice analysis but unfortunately the market has changed and record companies are more and more reluctant to release singles because in the vast majority of cases they make a loss. Very few acts these days, even successful ones, release more than one single before the album.
The death of the single makes me weep. Downloads have made the chart stagnant and resemble every crappy local radio station's playlist every f*cking week. Now that people don't even have to visit a record store to buy a single, any f*cker with an internet connection can download the same rubbish over and over again.....

The top three for the last three weeks:

1. Dusty as *done* by a secretary on Stars In Their Eyes.

2. God awful sub-chav anthem.

3. God awful sub-rawk anthem.

:roll:

I suppose the crappy Leona Lewis single will enter at two this week but only because the dumb downloading f*ckers have been told that this week's charity week. And yes, the charts have always been mainly rubbish but now I really struggle to like anything in it from week to week AND IT NEVER SEEMS TO CHANGE - VALERIE WAS STILL AT NUMBER 22 LAST WEEK AFTER 25 WEEKS ON THE CHART!!!!! *explodes*

Radiophonic

#8 Post by Radiophonic » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 6:47 pm

1. Dusty as *done* by a secretary on Stars In Their Eyes.
I think you're getting mixed up. It was/is Duffy.

daveid

#9 Post by daveid » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 6:51 pm

[quote="tottenhammattspurs"]Does anyone think we should go back to having TWO lead singles from a forthcoming album instead of the now standard ONE?
I think going back to two lead singles before an album comes out would give the boys more exposure to the casual fan and thus creating more sales. In an age when the public can cherry pick album tracks from itunes many artists will, and are, stuggling to get a second big hit from an album after the album is available. Imagine how higher Minimal would have charted if it was released a month after I'm with stupid, and two weeks before Fundamental, or Being Boring was released before Behaviour, or I get along before Release (ah...maybe not that one!! :P )[/quote]

Totally agree with you! Comes down to the simple fact that people are more likely to buy a song that hasn't appeared on an album yet. The statistics speak for themselves. Problem is that singles represent a loss on their own without a corresponding album to release as soon as possible after the single, hence singles now being released only 1 week before the album.

Janet Street-Porter

#10 Post by Janet Street-Porter » Sun 16 Mar 2008, 8:09 pm

Radiophonic wrote:I think you're getting mixed up. It was/is Duffy.
Yes, I know. I don't understand the appeal of retro pap like her. Why not listen to Dusty instead? She's only popular because of Amy Winehouse anyway.

Vince

#11 Post by Vince » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 3:40 am

Good analysis.

Record companies may not like spending extra on singles, but a good second lead single will generate more interest in the band/album and hence improve album sales.

At least thats my theory :D
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

gregf

#12 Post by gregf » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 4:54 am

My understanding is there will be no more CD singles. :cry:
(Please someone correct me).
I am in deep mourning over this ; I loved collecting them especially obscure ones.

I would like the suggestion be put to N+C to do CD singles directly
by order through the web site. Don't know how to get this suggestion to them. Anyone ?
"Remember Bender, if you do it right, no one is sure you have done anything at all". -God. In Godfellas.

Radiophonic

#13 Post by Radiophonic » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 12:59 pm

Radiophonic wrote:I think you're getting mixed up. It was/is Duffy.
Yes, I know. I don't understand the appeal of retro pap like her. Why not listen to Dusty instead? She's only popular because of Amy Winehouse anyway.
Except Duffy doesn't sound anything like Dusty, she's more like early Lulu crossed with Ronnie Spector - but I see your point.

Yes, I think Amy Winehouse has opened the door to many artists like Duffy. I find it refreshing and better than the (so called) RnB crap. Yes, it's retro but so am I! :)

Janet Street-Porter

#14 Post by Janet Street-Porter » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 1:39 pm

Radiophonic wrote:Except Duffy doesn't sound anything like Dusty, she's more like early Lulu crossed with Ronnie Spector - but I see your point.

Yes, I think Amy Winehouse has opened the door to many artists like Duffy. I find it refreshing and better than the (so called) RnB crap. Yes, it's retro but so am I! :)
I think that pop music should be contemporary and exciting. The difference between somebody like Amy Winehouse and Duffy is that the former creates something new from her influences and the latter is little more than beehive karaoke. The video for Mercy pisses me off too with its Absolute Beginners chic - IT'S 2008!!!!!

In the Eighties even the crap pop was at least trying to be modern.

http://www.nme.com/reviews/9535

Syncratic

#15 Post by Syncratic » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 4:54 pm

I think what ticks me off about the state of the charts is the complacency by buyers who should know better who settle and stand for it. Whichever way you want to dress it up the likes of Duffy, Amy and Stickleback are just bland cliched music, inoffensive enough to warrant safe playlisting. It's sad really. And yet, the 'intelligent' press will think its allfunky and cool, and its a guilty pleasure but what the heck...and 'edgy'. As Neil pointed out, 'Edgy' is inded a hateful nonsensical, made up word and term.