NUMB...All is forgiven!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

#31 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Sat 15 Mar 2008, 1:11 pm

I remember seeing a link to hear the brand new PSB track "I'm with stupid". The first new material in over 3 years......4 minutes later and i just thought it was the weakest track they'd ever done. Still do. Cant believe it was the LEAD track for the Fundamental campaign...and the only PSB song not to deserve a top 10 placing. SO many tracks could have fronted that campaign..Christ, even God willing would have been better!!! :lol:
is is and isnt isnt

S-sense

#32 Post by S-sense » Sat 15 Mar 2008, 2:50 pm

Same with me. i was dissappointed to pieces.
Weak melody, embarrasing "chorus".
it was all about being soo political & ironic ...

even the litte britain guys video didnt help in uk.

what would a "sodom"-video have been with david & matt ? :-)

Drem

#33 Post by Drem » Sat 15 Mar 2008, 4:30 pm

Radiophonic wrote:Discography has a b-side?
If we remember about "Overture to Performance" - yes, it has :D.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Radiophonic

#34 Post by Radiophonic » Sat 15 Mar 2008, 7:12 pm

Hated 'I'm With Stupid' for all the reasons cited above. And I hated the video. And after seeing it I hated Little Britain.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Blogo

#35 Post by Blogo » Sat 15 Mar 2008, 8:36 pm

Hated 'I'm With Stupid' for all the reasons cited above. And I hated the video. And after seeing it I hated Little Britain.
I'm with stupid was their most succesful single in years in terms of chart placings, that song is the reason i became a fan... "I'm with Stupid" I think is in my top 5 PSB songs...

Drem

#36 Post by Drem » Sat 15 Mar 2008, 9:10 pm

"I'm with Stupid", "Home and Dry", "New York City Boy" and "I Get Along" considerably grew on me for the last years, especially "I Get Along" - now I almost can rate it as one of my Top20 PSB songs...
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Vince

#37 Post by Vince » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 3:31 am

I have a discography cassette, so i meant all the songs on the 'other' side, after Heart (except Domino Dancing) :)
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

Tom Angel

#38 Post by Tom Angel » Mon 17 Mar 2008, 7:58 pm

Vince wrote:
I have a discography cassette, so i meant all the songs on the 'other' side, after Heart (except Domino Dancing) :)
So you only like the first few years of their career? Strange really, to dislike all those amazing songs.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Grover

#39 Post by Grover » Tue 18 Mar 2008, 1:09 pm

Tom Angel wrote:Up Against It is the Pet Shop Boys at their most abandoned, its FANTASTIC. Johnny Marr's guitar is sublime, and the wigged out scat singing at the end celebratory.

In Neils words:

"Then Johnny Marr had this idea for the backing vocals at the end of the song: "really coming up against it - oooh hooh hooh". He said, "if you were being really Quincy Jones you'd do something like this". So we said, "let's do that then" "

Bloody fantastic. What a 'pop moment'. If you don't like that then what the hell do you?! :wink:

And I think the extended of Before is one of their best extended mixes - deserrves a mention!
I COMPLETELY agree!

Tom Angel

#40 Post by Tom Angel » Tue 18 Mar 2008, 6:00 pm

I'm glad you have such good taste Grover. Nice one,
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Tom B.

#41 Post by Tom B. » Tue 18 Mar 2008, 7:51 pm

I also love "up against it" to bits. I was only discussing this perfect pop song with a fellow PSB fanatic the other day. It's kind of what defines a good PSB song to me.

I have never liked "Before" and will never do, it really doesn't improve with time. The same goes for "I'm with stupid" and a few others.

Padster

#42 Post by Padster » Tue 18 Mar 2008, 8:35 pm

When Bilingual was first released, Up against it was the track that I used to play over and over again. I still love it now.

Vince

#43 Post by Vince » Wed 19 Mar 2008, 3:34 am

Tom Angel wrote:
Vince wrote:
So you only like the first few years of their career? Strange really, to dislike all those amazing songs.
i USED to ;) initially i loved only the first few years a lot (and Very).. i was just discovering 80s electro music, so i simply loved it..

Now i like almost everything :D
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/