Pet Shop Boys on Youtube

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Oznerol

Re: Pet Shop Boys on Youtube

#1546 Post by Oznerol »

sbazb wrote:
Fri 10 Jul 2020, 7:54 pm
Oznerol wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 4:48 am
"Negatives" only exist for movies shooted on "film"..not on "video". Most (if not all) of the classic PSB videos were filmed and/or edited on video..so they`ll never have the chance to exist in actual HD... because copies of the final video on "film" never existed.

The only two exceptions are "Liberation" (made in HD for IMAX) and "Always On My mind" (wich is a montage of the PSB movie shots).
Whilst I don't know if most PSB videos were edited on videotape, the majority of them were definitely shot on film. You can see the difference in quality between film and video really easily (especially back in the 80s and 90s). If they have the original film rushes they could be rescanned in 1080p HD quality. Of course, this process is expensive, and would also require all the shots used in the original version to be identified and correctly edited back together. Much cheaper to upscale a standard definition version. Such a shame.

If this is an indication of an upcoming Blu-ray release of all their promo videos, it's such a waste, and basically a marketing ploy to get more money out of people who won't notice the difference, or be tricked into thinking it's better quality just because of the "HD" tag. (Of course, technically, going by the number of pixels on display, it is "HD", but the source material definitely isn't)
Completely agree in everything you said!
While, as you said, many are shot on film..almost (if not) alll of them (even the best candidate that is "Heart"...but with that FX vampire flying on the sky on the last shot) were posssibly edited/finalized on video (anyway I still have some hopes that the Heart FX was made on film and that a filmic copy of "Heart" do exist...). It´s a Sin, Rent, Always on my mind...and that´s it..all the rest have many post-produced video effects on some or many shots...so... bye bye real HD... :roll:
This is not my signature.

sbazb

#1547 Post by sbazb »

Oznerol wrote:
Mon 13 Jul 2020, 5:44 pm
sbazb wrote:
Fri 10 Jul 2020, 7:54 pm
Oznerol wrote:
Sat 27 Jun 2020, 4:48 am
"Negatives" only exist for movies shooted on "film"..not on "video". Most (if not all) of the classic PSB videos were filmed and/or edited on video..so they`ll never have the chance to exist in actual HD... because copies of the final video on "film" never existed.

The only two exceptions are "Liberation" (made in HD for IMAX) and "Always On My mind" (wich is a montage of the PSB movie shots).
Whilst I don't know if most PSB videos were edited on videotape, the majority of them were definitely shot on film. You can see the difference in quality between film and video really easily (especially back in the 80s and 90s). If they have the original film rushes they could be rescanned in 1080p HD quality. Of course, this process is expensive, and would also require all the shots used in the original version to be identified and correctly edited back together. Much cheaper to upscale a standard definition version. Such a shame.

If this is an indication of an upcoming Blu-ray release of all their promo videos, it's such a waste, and basically a marketing ploy to get more money out of people who won't notice the difference, or be tricked into thinking it's better quality just because of the "HD" tag. (Of course, technically, going by the number of pixels on display, it is "HD", but the source material definitely isn't)
Completely agree in everything you said!
While, as you said, many are shot on film..almost (if not) alll of them (even the best candidate that is "Heart"...but with that FX vampire flying on the sky on the last shot) were posssibly edited/finalized on video (anyway I still have some hopes that the Heart FX was made on film and that a filmic copy of "Heart" do exist...). It´s a Sin, Rent, Always on my mind...and that´s it..all the rest have many post-produced video effects on some or many shots...so... bye bye real HD... :roll:
I agree that the flying effect at the end of 'Heart' looks like a video-sourced addition, as the movement looks too fluid on top of the film footage, however most of the early videos (1985-1990) don't have anything in them that couldn't be fairly easily re-created with computer effects if the budget and impetus was there. The only one from that period that is 100% video-sourced is the 1986 re-release version of 'Opportunities', and it looks really cheap next to the others, although it may have been complex to put together at the time.

Of course, once you get to 'DJ Culture' and beyond, especially all videos from the Very era, there are a loads of computer-generated effects and overlays going on that would too numerous to re-create, and the original blue screen footage would have to exist in the first place to enable it to be recomposited. (I seem to remember that the blue screen footage for 'Can You Forgive Her' is out there online, but it's probably from a contemporary video copy, and no indication that the original still exists.)

When this whole idea of re-uploading better quality versions of classic promo videos started, you could guarantee that it would only be done if the original film footage existed and could be re-scanned for true HD quality, but unfortunately, most record companies/artists seem to be pushing them out there will little thought now, just to chase more views and likes, and hopefully create a small boost in their download/streaming income.

Nickname

#1548 Post by Nickname »

Pet Shop Boys - Being Boring - Dance Energy 05-11-1990 (very rare performance):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMVhC67cO2w

spooky

#1549 Post by spooky »

Nickname wrote:
Sun 26 Jul 2020, 2:04 pm
Pet Shop Boys - Being Boring - Dance Energy 05-11-1990 (very rare performance):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMVhC67cO2w
... well that was almost as awkward as seeing them perform on Soul Train. 😁

Kobalt Blew

#1550 Post by Kobalt Blew »

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere The Hotrats (Supergrass's Gaz Coombes and Danny Goffey) have covered West End Girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3Nlh0pSS0
previously Parlophoney.

leesmapman

#1552 Post by leesmapman »

Kobalt Blew wrote:
Mon 03 Aug 2020, 12:22 am
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere The Hotrats (Supergrass's Gaz Coombes and Danny Goffey) have covered West End Girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3Nlh0pSS0
That is a terrible cover.

leesmapman

#1553 Post by leesmapman »

jules wrote:
Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:21 pm
https://youtu.be/vhdK2EjwIcY
Nice usage of Lola Rennt footage. Works pretty good with the song.