Controversy over PSB concert in Tallinn, Estonia?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
geowayne

Controversy over PSB concert in Tallinn, Estonia?

#1 Post by geowayne »

Just a little while ago I received an email from someone claiming to be an Estonian PSB fan -- or, now more accurately, a former PSB fan -- who alleges that the Pet Shop Boys said some insulting things to the audience at their concert in Tallinn yesterday evening (May 2).

For one thing, this person claimed that Neil spoke Russian, which is apparently politically incorrect in Estonia (for good reason, to be sure), but they also maintained that there were more specific insults as well. This email writer says that they (I'm not sure whether he or she is male or female) will now toss all their PSB CDs in the Baltic Sea.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Was this just a bogus email from a crank (I can't even tell for sure whether it actually came from Estonia), or did a Pet Shop Boy really say something "controversial" -- or at least say something that might be miscontrued by someone of a perhaps overly sensitive nature -- onstage at Tallinn?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

Young Offender

#2 Post by Young Offender »

Interesting...

As the Pet Shop Boy world turns...

ilja

#3 Post by ilja »

dont listen to stupid ppl :wink:

Riikka

#4 Post by Riikka »

I can't believe they would have said anything insulting. There's no possibility that they would be mean. Someone has heard wrong, or understood something wrong. The feelings, in the political sense, are so hot now that I don't wonder that something like this happens.

But there are people who were in that concert - psb-freak?

TheGardner

#5 Post by TheGardner »

ilja wrote:dont listen to stupid ppl :wink:
means: all the things didn't happened??? Did you attend the Tallin show??? Guess we need someone, who really can confirm or deny these things! Perhaps this would help Wayne much more!
PSB news on WhatsApp?
Just send Hello! I Want To Join The Party.

Eldritch

#6 Post by Eldritch »

I have no info about what was said, but considering this current feud between Russia and Estonia about the removal of the Soviet war statue, if Neil spoke anything in Russian during the gig, that can be considered a serious faux pas. The Estonian people are currently very angered – for a good reason – the way Russia has tried to interfere with their affairs and the despicable treating of Estonian diplomats in Moscow.
Last edited by Eldritch on Fri 04 May 2007, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click click drone

Danger

#7 Post by Danger »

Eldritch wrote:I have no info about what was said, but considering this current feud between Russia and Estonia about the removal of the Soviet war statue, if Neil spoke anything in Russian during the gig, that can be considered a serious faux de pas. The Estonian people are currently very angered – for a good reason – the way Russia has tried to interfere with their affairs and the despicable treating of Estonian diplomats in Moscow.
Agree even if Neil did not say anithing wrong and did not want insult anyone maybe only speak Russian now in Estonia can be a mistake :(

ddp

#8 Post by ddp »

During the concert Neil spoke with the public in three languages! He said: Hello! Tere! Dobriy Vetser! And: Thank You! Aita! Spasibo Bolshoi! But some estonian people didt like it :evil: ThatS all!!!!!
Happiness Is An Option

Vince

#9 Post by Vince »

Its not like he pissed onto the audience or bit a bat's head off ;)

but on a serious note..
geowayne wrote:... a former PSB fan ...

This email writer says that they (I'm not sure whether he or she is male or female) will now toss all their PSB CDs in the Baltic Sea...
Good riddance.. we all know Neil is not the type to insult anyone/country like that, and its good if a person who doesnt understand that stop calling him/herself a PetHead.. :roll:
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

kennym

#10 Post by kennym »

Well as they are not playing Scotland in their tour i've just thrown my entire PSB collection into the Firth of Forth.. :lol:

Pet Shop Girl

#11 Post by Pet Shop Girl »

We already heard from one person who was there, ddp, and Neil did not say anything insulting, just the people took it that way for some reason. I wonder why Wayne got such an email.

Konstantin

#12 Post by Konstantin »

Well, maybe some of those people were just pissed because PSB didn't play another encore?! :D

But seriously: I consider Neil to be a man who (if he has offended anybody without knowing it) has no problem for an apology! so let's just wait and see if there will be any "official" news about that case in the local newspapers...
"Stars get their money from the production, starlets from the producer."
Helmut Qualtinger

TheGardner

#13 Post by TheGardner »

Konstantin wrote:I consider Neil to be a man who (if he has offended anybody without knowing it) has no problem for an apology!
second that! Neil is very pity in such things! Could bet he really know about the fact 'speaking russean in Estonia' but wasn't able to speak more Estonian words...
PSB news on WhatsApp?
Just send Hello! I Want To Join The Party.

ddp

#14 Post by ddp »

![/quote]
Neil is very pity in such things! Could bet he really know about the fact 'speaking russean in Estonia' but wasn't able to speak more Estonian words...[/quote]
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Happiness Is An Option

gregf

#15 Post by gregf »

Well considering 25% of the audience is Russian speaking Estonians, I think it is only
good manners for Neil to say "spa-see-bah".

If the Estonian nationalists are so immature as to react this way, I say good riddance.

It is just as immature as removing the statue. 27 million Russians died fighting Fascism.
Show a little respect for history if nothing else.

I make no judgement on other aspects of the dispute.
"Remember Bender, if you do it right, no one is sure you have done anything at all". -God. In Godfellas.