Pet Shop Boys & Robbie Williams

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MD

Re: Pet Shop Boys & Robbie Williams

#16 Post by MD »

cupoftea wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 9:11 pm
Robbie Williams is a Bellend.
But he’s made some damn good music.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Pod

#17 Post by Pod »

MD wrote:
Thu 03 Sep 2020, 11:23 pm
cupoftea wrote:
Has he?
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Gabby

#18 Post by Gabby »

I'm still a bit baffled how "She's Madonna" is considered a PSB single? It's from Robbie's album, so it's a Robbie single, is it not? That'd be like saying "Dreamland" is a Years and Years single, which I do realise it very nearly was...

MD

#19 Post by MD »

Pod wrote:
Fri 04 Sep 2020, 6:47 pm
MD wrote:
Thu 03 Sep 2020, 11:23 pm
cupoftea wrote:
Has he?
I’m assuming that’s a rhetorical question, but in case it’s not.

Oh yes. I never liked “take that” but his solo catalog has some very good songs. I highly recommend “in and out of consciousness“ his career spanning retrospective. Tons of great material. I’m across the pond in the United States, so I know nothing about him as a person. He never registered as a media celebrity here. So nothing but the music to go by, I’m told he was as big as Michael Jackson in the UK for a while so no doubt lots of media attention and bad behavior to color his work. I prefer to judge the work/Music alone, always so much more enjoyable that way.

I have to say he appears to be one of those artists who were good not just because they were good but because they had a really good band around them and writers and producers. I definitely don’t think he’s as talented as Pet Shop Boys but still a large number of very good songs. And “no regrets” is one of his better songs, I love Neil’s backing vocals.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Dog

#20 Post by Dog »

Gabby wrote:I'm still a bit baffled how "She's Madonna" is considered a PSB single? It's from Robbie's album, so it's a Robbie single, is it not? That'd be like saying "Dreamland" is a Years and Years single, which I do realise it very nearly was...
I always thought “with” was key here. What have I done to deserve this? was released by Pet Shop Boys with Dusty Springfield. In denial is Pet Shop Boys with Kylie Minogue. She’s Madonna is Robbie Williams with Pet Shop Boys. In that sense it’s more of a duel release than even, say, Hallo Spaceboy was. I think She’s Madonna could justly appear on any PSB singles compilation, in the same way that What have I? is on all the more recent Dusty ones.
Woof.

Gabby

#21 Post by Gabby »

Dog wrote:
Sat 05 Sep 2020, 10:55 am
Gabby wrote:I'm still a bit baffled how "She's Madonna" is considered a PSB single? It's from Robbie's album, so it's a Robbie single, is it not? That'd be like saying "Dreamland" is a Years and Years single, which I do realise it very nearly was...
I always thought “with” was key here. What have I done to deserve this? was released by Pet Shop Boys with Dusty Springfield. In denial is Pet Shop Boys with Kylie Minogue. She’s Madonna is Robbie Williams with Pet Shop Boys. In that sense it’s more of a duel release than even, say, Hallo Spaceboy was. I think She’s Madonna could justly appear on any PSB singles compilation, in the same way that What have I? is on all the more recent Dusty ones.
Hmm, thats a fair argument. I think we've been so saturated with songs that use "feat." in recent years I'd forgotten about acts performing "with" each other! 😃

cupoftea

#22 Post by cupoftea »

Bit silly of me to call him a bellend, sure he is a decent guy. BUT from Take That to whatever is most recent he is an example of the most maddening mediocrity. She's Madonna is a good song, but he ruins it.

Gabby

#23 Post by Gabby »

Gabby wrote:
Sun 06 Sep 2020, 12:34 am
Dog wrote:
Sat 05 Sep 2020, 10:55 am
Hmm, thats a fair argument. I think we've been so saturated with songs that use "feat." in recent years I'd forgotten about acts performing "with" each other! 😃
I'm still torn on this - I'm cataloging my records right now and for my money this belongs not in "PSB Singles" but in "PSB related singles". Here are a few reasons why I think that:

1. Wikipedia (not the best source I know) features it as only a collaboration, not a pure PSB Single
2. PSB Catalog site also cites it as a collaboration, not a single.
3. PSB's official website is muddled to say the least - the lyrics (and image) appear, but Hallo Spaceboy is nowhere to be found (and lets face it, Neil contributed a fair bit of lyrical content in that single remix). Also, Nothing Has Been Proved is listed but that's a Dusty song (I'd put it in PSB related, because they wrote and produced but didn't release as their own). Their website is a mixed bag of contradictions on this I reckon.
4. I've decided the "with" isn't really all that different from "feat.". If it was "Pet Shop Boys WITH Robbie Williams" and had been on a PSB album, I'd 100% say it was a PSB single. It's neither, so it's a Robbie single and therefore should be catalogued as such.

:wall:

Synthrobot

#24 Post by Synthrobot »

She's Madonna. GREAT song, TERRIBLE video. What was he thinking? And the dialogue is cringeworthy.

agent doris

#25 Post by agent doris »

Dog wrote:
Wed 26 Aug 2020, 8:25 am
Pod wrote:
leesmapman wrote:
Mon 24 Aug 2020, 7:45 pm

That's a remix of "We're the Pet Shop Boys" which Robbie recorded.
Yes, but they did produce it, right?
I’m pretty sure the Robbie version is the same backing track as the Chris Zippel / PSB version from the Pet Shop Boys’ recording.
Yes it is. You can even hear Chris on the list of songs.