Pet Shop Boys & Robbie Williams

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
NotInvisible

Re: Pet Shop Boys & Robbie Williams

#31 Post by NotInvisible »

PSBForTheMasses wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 2:43 amI have always assumed that Neil helped him in the lyrics section as they are very deep, an unexpected thing from Robbie
Robbie Williams is actually a fantastic lyricist, though. She's Madonna is very much in his voice.

NotInvisible

#32 Post by NotInvisible »

goughsjd wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 7:19 amHe most certainly has not.
No Regrets, Feel, The '80s, Decepticon, The BRITS... his body of work has some fantastic songs in it. I think it may be easier to see as an outsider, free from the cultural baggage that surrounds him.

PSBForTheMasses

#33 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

I have not listened to his albums thoroughly but Supreme ve Tripping singles are fantastic songs, as good as any so-called pop legends could have done.

goughsjd

#34 Post by goughsjd »

NotInvisible wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 3:47 pm
goughsjd wrote: Sun 15 Nov 2020, 7:19 amHe most certainly has not.
No Regrets, Feel, The '80s, Decepticon, The BRITS... his body of work has some fantastic songs in it. I think it may be easier to see as an outsider, free from the cultural baggage that surrounds him.
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think every song yiu named there is as bad as one's you didn't.
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

Tom Angel

#35 Post by Tom Angel »

Rudebox is an amazing album. Soul Mechnic were responsible for a lot of it, with Robbie.

It's bonkers, but probably one of the best pop albums ever.
    in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

NotInvisible

#36 Post by NotInvisible »

goughsjd wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 9:06 amMaybe I'm alone on this, but I think every song yiu named there is as bad as one's you didn't.
    I don't think you're alone in allowing your bias to cloud your objectivity, no. We run into this as PSB fans all the time. And if you've listened to his catalog deeply enough to know stuff from his fan-club-only releases, well... :lol:

Dog

#37 Post by Dog »

I wouldn’t class myself as a fan as such but there’s a high percentage of good stuff in his catalogue and he is easily dismissed if you find him abrasive and annoying. I would say he is misunderstood. The Chris Heath books Feel and Reveal are brilliant pieces of pop writing and character studies, up there with his PSB books. I would agree with what others have said about Rudebox - it’s a completely bonkers brilliant pop album and well worth a listen.
    Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#38 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I like a few of his singles but was always repelled by his persona. He always seemed over-needy and desperate to appeal to the lowest common denominator - so for every Feel, there's a Rock DJ.

NotInvisible

#39 Post by NotInvisible »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Tue 17 Nov 2020, 12:03 am I like a few of his singles but was always repelled by his persona. He always seemed over-needy and desperate to appeal to the lowest common denominator - so for every Feel, there's a Rock DJ.
    I can't argue with that, but it's worth pointing out that in the Rock DJ video he doesn't appeal - that's the whole shtick. He returns to it fairly often, basically doing a retread in Candy. The Chris Heath books get into this a lot more, there's Rob Williams the man and "Robbie Williams" the deliberate persona, which is a heavily exaggerated fiction intended in part to help him get to grips with his stage fright. A lot of his catalog takes the piss out of his own image.

goughsjd

#40 Post by goughsjd »

NotInvisible wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 2:44 pm
    goughsjd wrote: Mon 16 Nov 2020, 9:06 amMaybe I'm alone on this, but I think every song yiu named there is as bad as one's you didn't.
    I don't think you're alone in allowing your bias to cloud your objectivity, no. We run into this as PSB fans all the time. And if you've listened to his catalog deeply enough to know stuff from his fan-club-only releases, well... :lol:
    Well, thanks for the assumption, but I have listened to the majority of his stuff and I don't like it. Sometimes there is some music you just don't like and for me Robbie is not something I like, and yes I mean him and his music.
      Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

tottenhammattspurs

#41 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Rudebox, in another twenty years, will be lauded for the late 00s pop masterpiece it actually is.
      is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#42 Post by leesmapman »

I prefer Reality Killed The Radio Star

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk