Concrete is Solid

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TwizzleUK

#31 Post by TwizzleUK »

They've certainly edited out some of the bits in-between songs. I distinctly remember on the Radio broadcast Neil saying "that's the wind in the desert" at the end of 'Soddom & Gomorrah", but you don't hear that on the CD version... Curious.

In reply to one of the above posts, I think 'It's Alright' is one of the best on the album - great to hear reproduced almost exactly in its single form, and i'd love to hear this at future live shows.

Andy

mindboy

#32 Post by mindboy »

diana wrote:My favorites on Concrete: Luna Park (beautiful Silvia Mason James solo) and Dreaming of the Queen (beautiful orchestra).
Since i had a luck to visit this triumphant and one of the best ever PSB show, i have a right to correct You - the female solo on Luna Park belongs to another backing vocalist - Lucinda Barry. :wink:
Chris Heath: Why you're surfing?
Chris Lowe: Coz we can!
Neil Tennant: Exactly. :D
(Performance commentary during What have I done to deserve this??)

pierre

#33 Post by pierre »

Verbal wrote:I hate Frances Barber's voice. Friendly Fire is by far the weakest track on Concrete.
For me, it's one of their all-time best songs and Frances Barber sings it perfectly.

Verbal

#34 Post by Verbal »

No, she doesn't. She vamped and camped it up and completely ruined it. She's a horrible singer...

diana

#35 Post by diana »

mindboy wrote:
diana wrote:My favorites on Concrete: Luna Park (beautiful Silvia Mason James solo) and Dreaming of the Queen (beautiful orchestra).
Since i had a luck to visit this triumphant and one of the best ever PSB show, i have a right to correct You - the female solo on Luna Park belongs to another backing vocalist - Lucinda Barry. :wink:

:o

However, she is marvellous!

Dreaming of the Queen
visiting for tea
You and her and I
and Lady Di

SIN

#36 Post by SIN »

While Neil's vocals sound great, the live album has a feel of studio versions being played to a live audience.

it's a sin and jealousy stand out for me...

whilst rent is one of my favourite psb songs, this version is forgettable and i never liked the arrangement - this arrangement was for liza, not psb - for me the best version was the highlights version - IMO!

DJAMIX

#37 Post by DJAMIX »

Mine arrived today and I'm taking the first listen now, believe it or not... :(
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

dVTB

#38 Post by dVTB »

Coincidentally, I stumbled across a belated review (published today) in a small, regional Dutch newspaper. I translated it into English.
Pet Shop Boys with drummer and violins

Pet Shop Boys: Concrete (Parlophone/EMI)

Who would ever have thought that Pet Shop Boys would work with a drummer? It happened this year, when Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe performed with a band and a BBC orchestra in London; to be heard on the double album 'Concrete'.

Many of the synthesizer parts have been replaced by violins and the differenc is not very big, since synthesizer actually are 'capsuled' orchestras. So 'It's A sin' sounds just as exciting, at the most it contains a bit more life, literally and methaphorically.

Many of the tracks come from the recent studio album 'Fundamental', of which only 'Integral' is a stayer. Undestroyable, also in this arrangement, is their first hit 'West End Girls' from 1985. Additional value comes from the guest vocals by Rufus Wainwright ('Casanova In Hell') and - yes - Robbie Williams, who sings 'Jealousy' very beautiful.

whateverman42

#39 Post by whateverman42 »

Yeah, I really dislike that Rent arrangement. It was also on Performance and it's just dreadful IMO. For Concrete, I like After All, interesting to hear it live, and It's Alright actually had me liking a song I'd fogotten about and always skipped on Popart. It's also nice to have another version of West End Girls to listen to.

Drem

#40 Post by Drem »

moxlox wrote:My favourite is Its A Sin, I think it is the best version I ever heard.
Same here. I never liked so this song before. Amazing version.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

moxlox

#41 Post by moxlox »

Actually wrote: It'S A SIN What an epic. Best ever version of this without a doubt. The Orchestral bits enhances the song.
Totally agree. An absolutely epic version of an obviously already epic song. This, quite amazingly after all these years, is the best version I have ever heard.

It has superseded the original It's a Sin on my iPod favourite PSB songs playlist.
Circuses and Bread

StevePSB
Site Admin

#42 Post by StevePSB »

Don't like Friendly fire much. Vocals ruin it.

Posted on my PSP. Hard work!

StevePSB

Vince

#43 Post by Vince »

Yep i agree that the arrangement on Rent si not my fav either.. too blah.. :mrgreen:
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

Phillip

#44 Post by Phillip »

Vince wrote:Yep i agree that the arrangement on Rent si not my fav either.. too blah.. :mrgreen:
(as above)
Attitudes are materialistic

Radiophonic

#45 Post by Radiophonic »

Just bought this very late in the day. I have to say I was bowled over by Rufus Wainwright's beautiful voice. Quite moving.....
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "