Somewhere DVD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
RichBeard

Re: Somewhere DVD

#46 Post by RichBeard »

I have the VHS version somewhere lol.. always liked this show.. and always loved the documentary at the start, some funny moments! I always thought Yesterday, when I was mad was a great way to start the show.. and great to hear The theatre live.. 😎 And, To step aside sounded great live! I’m praying that they play Hallo Soaceboy on the DL tour as I remember buying the single before I was a psb fan! Sylvia Mason James fills in nicely for Bowie here!

May have to buy the DVD now..

Tentenlad

#47 Post by Tentenlad »

I was disappointed only my shoulder is in the extra footage, waiting at the stage door. Though I am on the front row of the concert! Does anyone else remember Neil and Chris afterwards just mingling at an outdoor bar?

G_Goalden

#48 Post by G_Goalden »

Tentenlad wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:48 pm I was disappointed only my shoulder is in the extra footage, waiting at the stage door. Though I am on the front row of the concert! Does anyone else remember Neil and Chris afterwards just mingling at an outdoor bar?
I was on the front row of the circle and I appear for a split second during Devices.

Were you there the night that Julian Clary walked out because the camera was fixed on him during the encore?

I didn't hang around afterwards I was keen to impress my then girlfriend with a post-gig coffee in Bar Italia (we were both big Pulp fans at the time).

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

hotspotnot

#49 Post by hotspotnot »

Tentenlad wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:48 pm I was disappointed only my shoulder is in the extra footage, waiting at the stage door. Though I am on the front row of the concert! Does anyone else remember Neil and Chris afterwards just mingling at an outdoor bar?
After the show I attended, I got my programme signed by Neil, Chris, Dainton and Sylvia. Looked like they were having a party after the show so I remember waiting for aaaaaages.

As I lived in London, I went back a few nights later and got my copy of Very Relentless signed too!
Working the wheel. One eye alert and one asleep.

tottenhammattspurs

#50 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

What are the chances of the entire show being released some day rather than the select 45 mins that we have got?
is is and isnt isnt

oakey

#51 Post by oakey »

Got the US NTSC DVD today, but alas, it's indeed region 1 only, and I don't have a DVD-region free player anymore. The bluray and 4K UHD players I own now cannot be hacked to make them region free for DVDs.

I am in region 2...
Last edited by oakey on Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leesmapman

#52 Post by leesmapman »

Computers can usually bypass the region lock. You could do a dvd rip with a computer.

Greendrake

#53 Post by Greendrake »

leesmapman wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021, 10:54 pm Computers can usually bypass the region lock. You could do a dvd rip with a computer.
Plus one — all those DVD region woes are so lame. A computer rip is the first and only thing I always do with all my DVDs/Blurays. Never actually had a conventional player.

oakey

#54 Post by oakey »

Yes, but I want to play it on my TV and surround set, not on my computer. I don't want to fiddle with ripped files and mediaplayers anymore. Been there done that.

Anyway, got a DVD player from a friend that I could easily make region-free and watched the NTSC version of Somewhere. I can tell you that it is definately not plagued by the 5.1 issues the PAL version has. Neil is still a bit low in the mix to current standards, but it is certainly watchable (which the PAL version is not, as Neil is barely audible, like watching a karaoke disc). Also listened to the stereo soundtrack, which has a slighly better balance than the 5.1 one I would say.

For those of you with the crappy PAL version and interested in getting the NTSC version of this DVD, bought it at WOWHD for only €3 incl P&P and tracking :) It's still available: https://www.wowhd.co.uk/somewhere/801213008391
You do need a region ALL or region 1 player though :p

leesmapman

#55 Post by leesmapman »

Oh, that sounds interesting. Ripping the DVD and burning it to a DVDR will remove a region lock, I might do that (and my PC can do it, but that's not on my 5.1 system)

oakey

#56 Post by oakey »

If you still own a bluray or dvd player, just google the model no + region hack, as most can be made regionfree very easily with a universal remote. It's also not illegal to do that. Just the 2 Sony ones I own cannot. But ripping and burning the files on a dvd-r is an option too of course.

Scottydog

#57 Post by Scottydog »

That’s interesting. I also only want to play on on my tv and my Blu-ray player is also Sony. I’ll need to check what regions it can do. Thanks for sharing that.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Greendrake

#58 Post by Greendrake »

oakey wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:12 pm Yes, but I want to play it on my TV and surround set, not on my computer. I don't want to fiddle with ripped files and mediaplayers anymore. Been there done that.
Modern TVs can play files directly from USB drives, and also from media servers on local network. I keep all my rips on a local server running MiniDLNA. The TV picks it up happy days. No computer mediaplayers needed :dance:.

leesmapman

#59 Post by leesmapman »

Greendrake wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:37 am Modern TVs can play files directly from USB drives, and also from media servers on local network. I keep all my rips on a local server running MiniDLNA. The TV picks it up happy days. No computer mediaplayers needed :dance:.
Does the TV play 5.1?

Greendrake

#60 Post by Greendrake »

leesmapman wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:25 am Does the TV play 5.1?
Depends on the TV and the sound system attached to it :D . Most modern TVs will be ready to play it. In any event, if no real 5.1 sound system attached, they will convert/mix the 6 channels to suit however many speakers there are.