Somewhere DVD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Danimal

Re: Somewhere DVD

#31 Post by Danimal »

I attended the two shows that were filmed for the DVD and the live sound at the actual concerts wasn't that great to begin with.

oakey

#32 Post by oakey »

The release of DiscoVery on DVD and the mention in that thread of the Somewhere DVD and its sound issues made me revive this old thread. I was looking to pre-order DiscoVery at my local record store, but it was not available. However, searching for "Pet Shop Boys DVD" resulted in this:

So it lists a February 2019 re-release of the Somewhere DVD. I'm tempted to buy it (only €6,99) but there are no others specs provided than that it's a PAL release: https://www.kroese-online.nl/artikel/38 ... _The_Savoy

It could be the same (faulty) release, but it would also be odd to re-release the faulty disc over and over again (it's not, as some stated here, just poor sound at the venue or simply 'not great' audio for a music DVD, but clearly a technical issue with mixing up the channels). If you listen to this DVD, it's like listening to a karaoke show, Neil is barely audible, and halfway The Theatre things get worse even. Like I stated before in this thread, the stereo VHS release did not have this issue, that had normal sound.

This is the one I have:

Somewhere is probable the most re-released DVD (and still in print), with (slightly) different covers, so all of you at this forum who own this title, especially those in the US (the NTSC version), would you be so kind to check and listen to your copy of this DVD on your current equipment, in order to find out whether there are releases unaffected (as I really want to watch this show again). Please post your comments here.

Also curious to know whether all releases only include a Dolby Digital 5.1 track (mine does, so no PCM Stereo or Dolby Digital 2.0).

Greendrake

#33 Post by Greendrake »

oakey wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 11:53 am all of you at this forum who own this title, especially those in the US (the NTSC version), would you be so kind to check and listen to your copy of this DVD on your current equipment
I have had a whole-DVD rip on my computer of an NTSC version released no later than some early 00s. It has two audio tracks:
  • ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 224 kb/s; and
  • ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s
I must admit I haven't listened to the whole show for a while, but I just checked how It's a sin sounds. Not particularly impressive, but my ear can't label it as having a "technical issue" either.

Here is how both tracks look in Audacity just in case:
Screenshot from 2021-01-25 00-19-59.png
Screenshot from 2021-01-25 00-19-59.png (35.52 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Screenshot from 2021-01-25 00-18-32.png
Screenshot from 2021-01-25 00-18-32.png (108.13 KiB) Viewed 785 times

oakey

#34 Post by oakey »

Thanks Greendake, really helpful, great to hear this release has a stereo side, did not know that. It also seems the NTSC release is unaffected by the technical issue then. Will see whether I can make a short audio rip of my faulty DVD.

Scottydog

#35 Post by Scottydog »

I think I have the same version as the one you gave a link too. It has the same barcode number and cover. I watched it last night and the sound isn’t good but not unlistenable. Neils vocal is very much in the background though the music sounds ok. There are no audio options on it.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

oakey

#36 Post by oakey »

Scottydog wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 1:52 pm I think I have the same version as the one you gave a link too. It has the same barcode number and cover. I watched it last night and the sound isn’t good but not unlistenable. Neils vocal is very much in the background though the music sounds ok. There are no audio options on it.
Thanks for this too. May I ask if you listened to it on a 5.1 set? When I watch the DVD in my computer it sounds okay-ish (with my two desktop speakers), but in 5.1 in my living room it is unlistenable. The music has always been okay, the issue is only with Neil's voice.
Last edited by oakey on Sun 24 Jan 2021, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scottydog

#37 Post by Scottydog »

oakey wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 3:05 pm
Scottydog wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 1:52 pm I think I have the same version as the one you gave a link too. It has the same barcode number and cover. I watched it last night and the sound isn’t good but not unlistenable. Neils vocal is very much in the background though the music sounds ok. There are no audio options on it.
Thanks for this too. May I ask if you listened to it on a 5.1 set? When I watch the DVD in my computer it sounds okay-ish (with my two desktop speakers), but in 5.1 in my living room it is unlistenable. The music has always been okay, the issue as only with Neil's voice.
No I’m not using a 5.1 system. The tv is only connected to an external stereo speaker. I can tweak the sound through the speaker but it’s nothing like a home cinema set up.
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

leesmapman

#38 Post by leesmapman »

Oh yeah, the 5.1 audio stream on my regular PAL DVD is absolutely unlistenable on my 5.1 dvd set. On my laptop, it's okay-ish.

oakey

#39 Post by oakey »

Found a cheap US NTSC DVD copy online, it's probably region 1/4 locked so I may not be able to play it in the end but worth a try.

oakey

#40 Post by oakey »

leesmapman wrote: Sun 24 Jan 2021, 5:23 pm Oh yeah, the 5.1 audio stream on my regular PAL DVD is absolutely unlistenable on my 5.1 dvd set. On my laptop, it's okay-ish.
Thanks, I have exactly the same. Pity

Wish

#41 Post by Wish »

Probably you need US NTSC DVD with 2 audio tracks - 5.1 surround and 2.0 Stereo.
https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-S ... se/2064263
I think my pirate DVD is a copy of this one. 2.0 audio track is good.

Also I have Polish digibook edition and 2006 UK reissue. Both have faulty 5.1 sound.

https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-S ... e/12597071
https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-S ... se/2165846

Harry

#42 Post by Harry »

I find this very interesting. I’d given up hope for a good version of Somewhere, as I thought I’d read that there was a fault on the master tape or a bad connection, meaning it had never recorded properly. I’m very pleased to hear I’m making that up!

I’m intrigued as to how good the VHS sounds, and how good the NTSC DVD with the stereo track sounds. Is there bass? Is it balanced? I know it’s never going to sound like ‘Inner Sanctum’ but if there’s a decent-sounding version around, I want it (it was my first gig and I’m very fond of it)
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Wish

#43 Post by Wish »

This VHS/NTSC-DVD sound is not as great as you could expect. As someone noted here that actual sound on the venue wasn't so good.
But it sounds just properly - Neil is in front, music is a little back. It's just OK in opposit to PAL DVD sound.

Greendrake

#44 Post by Greendrake »

I just got my hands on a PAL version of this (printed no later than 2007, but could well be the 1997 original). It is indeed featuring 5.1 sound only (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s). No stereo. Here is how it looks (note that, unlike the NTSC disc, the documentary and the show are separate titles here, so this audio includes the show only):
PAL-5.1.png
PAL-5.1.png (118.77 KiB) Viewed 458 times
I also have just watched/listened to all 3 audio versions (stereo from the NTSC disc, 5.1 from the NTSC disc, 5.1 from the PAL disc) on this smart TV screen featuring a 2.2 channel speaker system. (Guess it should be smart enough to mix/direct those 5.1 channels into the speakers it has the best way possible.) The particular bits I listened to were the beginnings of Go West, It's a sin and Can you forgive her?.

The results are quite surprising:

PAL 5.1 sound: the most clear and vivid of all 3. Voice is great.
NTSC 2.0 sound: not as great, but okay.
NTSC 5.1 sound sucks, though still not as bad as reported in this thread.

I have no idea how that comes contrary to what has previously been reported about the PAL 5.1 sound being shit. Maybe I simply got a newer, fixed print (sorry I do not even know how exactly the cover looks). Maybe the channels were simply mixed up on it and my TV screen is smart enough to swap them back correctly. Maybe by ears are totally screwed up so that they perceive a total shit sound as the best possible :mrgreen:

But I am hoping that comparing the waveforms should dot the i's and cross the t's. If someone could show the waveform of the shitty sounding version of this we should see the difference with what I posted above.

My feeling is that all this is mostly about how 5.1 sound gets played on 2-speaker systems. Different people will have it very differently: some systems will just pick 2 out of the 6 channels, other will perhaps analyse and choose how to mix/play them.

oakey

#45 Post by oakey »

Thanks a lot to y’all. The NTSC copy is on its way so I’ll keep you posted. Do not have high hopes re the 2019 PAL release, probably the same mastering.