Somewhere DVD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Synature

#16 Post by Synature »

Montage should come with a seizure warning!
To this day I've never watched the whole DVD
due to the artistic effects gone wrong. Thankfully
I attended a concert for the Nightlife Tour so I
have a better reference than Montage.

Rent

#17 Post by Rent »

Pet Shop Girl wrote:I get the same experience when I try to watch it. Watching Its a Sin is still a joy!
Fair enough. But it is not a patch on the original. And yes I know, it's better than nothing I suppose ;)
--- Coincidence and patience will mend this fatal flaw ---

Pet Shop Girl

#18 Post by Pet Shop Girl »

Rent wrote:
Pet Shop Girl wrote:I get the same experience when I try to watch it. Watching Its a Sin is still a joy!
Fair enough. But it is not a patch on the original. And yes I know, it's better than nothing I suppose ;)
What can we do, there is not one decent live PSB DVD out there except for "Performance" and also "Somewhere" Live at the Savoy theater.

Danger

#19 Post by Danger »

I think that Montage is a good DVD, and I like the effects but with a little bit less it can be fantastic. The choice of songs is great so the costume of PSB above all in the first part. :mrgreen:

leesmapman

Re: Somewhere DVD

#20 Post by leesmapman »

I was watching the DVD today and I noticed the bad sound mix myself. I probably watched the DVD on a crappy laptop back in the days thinking it was the laptop's fault. Anyway, I did some reading here on this forum and there seems to be some good sound-mix DVDs and some not. I myself can confirm that PAL, catalog EREDV022, plays all regions has crap sound.

coufy

#21 Post by coufy »

I would rather release those videos on BD. DVD format will be dead soon.
Pet Shop Boys Technology
www.pet-shop-boys.eu

Danger

#22 Post by Danger »

coufy wrote:I would rather release those videos on BD. DVD format will be dead soon.
I'm not so sure... lots of old releases are now printing on DVD only and the DVDs and BDs are continuing going down, so I'm not so sure that BD will be the only format so soon...

coufy

#23 Post by coufy »

BD would be better anyway because of much better video quality.
Pet Shop Boys Technology
www.pet-shop-boys.eu

Boring90

Re:

#24 Post by Boring90 »

Markpro wrote:I know It Couldn't Happen Here is being released on DVD quite soon ( about time too)...
:lol:
Las Vegas 1999

TheGhostOfMyself

#25 Post by TheGhostOfMyself »

I thought it was just me who thought the Somewhere sound was tinny but now I know. I always watch it with "superbass" on my amp enabled and even then it's still tinny.

oakey

#26 Post by oakey »

It's not just that the sound is tinny, they messed up the 5.1 mix of Sowhere in Concert resulting in Neil's voice being way too soft. Also, there is a serious problem with the sound during The Theatre. The stereo VHS soundtrack did not have these problems. Would be great to see a rerelease of this DVD with a proper mix as an SD Bluray (which could also contain the other PMI DVD-releases or maybe even the digitally unreleased VHS videos of Discovery and Highlights).

The DVD of Somewhere live as it is is unwatchable because of these sound problems.

daveid

#27 Post by daveid »

Yeah the sound is very metallic and weird. Anyone know why it was released by Eagle Vision rather than EMI?

Harry

#28 Post by Harry »

So is the problem with the DVD release or the concert film itself? Was the VHS OK? I can't remember.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

leesmapman

#29 Post by leesmapman »

Again, some people reported that some DVDs are OK, but I don't know which (Japanese releases are usually of higher quality, is this true in this case too?)

oakey

#30 Post by oakey »

I used to own the VHS of Somewhere, and that had a decent stereo track without any of the problems. Somewhere has been released several times as DVD but as far as I am aware all releases had this problem. If anyone can convince me otherwise, please post release details here.