Somewhere DVD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
oakey

Re: Somewhere DVD

#61 Post by oakey »

Greendrake wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:37 am
oakey wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:12 pm Yes, but I want to play it on my TV and surround set, not on my computer. I don't want to fiddle with ripped files and mediaplayers anymore. Been there done that.
Modern TVs can play files directly from USB drives, and also from media servers on local network. I keep all my rips on a local server running MiniDLNA. The TV picks it up happy days. No computer mediaplayers needed :dance:.
Yes they should but in practice it does not always work. Unable to access NAS or other network drives, not able to play a specific codec, and ARC does not always support 5.1 sound. Like I said, a lot of fiddling around that I am done with.

Also I’d rather have the physical discs, whether it’s music CDs or video DVD or bluray. Call me old fashioned…

oakey

#62 Post by oakey »

Double post

herts101

#63 Post by herts101 »

oakey wrote:
Greendrake wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:37 am
oakey wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:12 pm Yes, but I want to play it on my TV and surround set, not on my computer. I don't want to fiddle with ripped files and mediaplayers anymore. Been there done that.
Modern TVs can play files directly from USB drives, and also from media servers on local network. I keep all my rips on a local server running MiniDLNA. The TV picks it up happy days. No computer mediaplayers needed :dance:.
Yes they should but in practice it does not always work. Unable to access NAS or other network drives, not able to play a specific codec, and ARC does not always support 5.1 sound. Like I said, a lot of fiddling around that I am done with.

Also I’d rather have the physical discs, whether it’s music CDs or video DVD or bluray. Call me old fashioned…
My middle ground was an Apple TV and the Infuse app. Rip everything to the computer / NAS, Infuse plays pretty much everything in the TV in full surround and everything, and presents it looking really smart with cover art and everything.

To me it’s like having my physical DVD library with all the covers etc but easy to browse through digitally.

I’ve not played a physical disc for at last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oakey

#64 Post by oakey »

Each to its own of course, but I really appreciate physical product. A download with a JPG of the cover is just not the same for me. I like the needle drop of vinyl, opening a CD player's tray to put an album or CD single in it or watch something on TV from a physical disc that I own and cannot be taken away from the catalogue. It still makes me happy if I play the actual CD single of Heart which was the first CD I bought back in 1988 or listen to the 12" of Disco, one of the first records I bought. I also vividly remember buying the VHS of Somewhere :) and the disappointment after having bought the PAL DVD ...

I do use Netflix and Disney+ though, but for me that's the equivalent of watching TV. Transient.

herts101

#65 Post by herts101 »

I do completely get that. I’ve just been getting back into vinyl and enjoying it for all the reasons you set out, so I’m not completely digital!!

Just ordered the NTSC DVD. Thanks for the link.

oakey

#66 Post by oakey »

herts101 wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:35 pm I do completely get that. I’ve just been getting back into vinyl and enjoying it for all the reasons you set out, so I’m not completely digital!!

Just ordered the NTSC DVD. Thanks for the link.
:up:

Depending on your country you can opt for WOWHD.nl, WOWHD.com etc. Then you can see the prices in your own currency.

y3potential

#67 Post by y3potential »

oakey wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:04 pm. Transient.

Transcient. No there's a future PSB title..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

tottenhammattspurs

#68 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

oakey wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:04 pm Each to its own of course, but I really appreciate physical product. A download with a JPG of the cover is just not the same for me. I like the needle drop of vinyl, opening a CD player's tray to put an album or CD single in it or watch something on TV from a physical disc that I own and cannot be taken away from the catalogue. It still makes me happy if I play the actual CD single of Heart which was the first CD I bought back in 1988 or listen to the 12" of Disco, one of the first records I bought. I also vividly remember buying the VHS of Somewhere :) and the disappointment after having bought the PAL DVD ...

I do use Netflix and Disney+ though, but for me that's the equivalent of watching TV. Transient.
Heart CD Single was the first ever Cd I bought too, Kylie's "Got To Be Certain" was the second, about ten minutes later...
is is and isnt isnt

oakey

#69 Post by oakey »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 3:19 pm
oakey wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:04 pm Each to its own of course, but I really appreciate physical product. A download with a JPG of the cover is just not the same for me. I like the needle drop of vinyl, opening a CD player's tray to put an album or CD single in it or watch something on TV from a physical disc that I own and cannot be taken away from the catalogue. It still makes me happy if I play the actual CD single of Heart which was the first CD I bought back in 1988 or listen to the 12" of Disco, one of the first records I bought. I also vividly remember buying the VHS of Somewhere :) and the disappointment after having bought the PAL DVD ...

Heart CD Single was the first ever Cd I bought too, Kylie's "Got To Be Certain" was the second, about ten minutes later...
Which current teen will later remember the first song s/he listened to on Spotify or YouTube :eh:

herts101

#70 Post by herts101 »

Just did a direct comparison of the NTSC DVD which I received last week, to my rip of the VHS, listening over a 5.1 sound system, and sadly the VHS stereo mix sounds way superior, with Neil’s voice loud and in balance when compared to the DVD. I tested on the DVD stereo track as well and same issue.

So my recommendation if you want this concert (and since it was the first one I attended, I definitely wanted it!) is to get hold of the VHS, or wait for a re-release.

oakey

#71 Post by oakey »

There is definately room for improvement yes, even though the NTSC DVD is again superior to the PAL release.

Would be great if they would release these older DVDs as an SD bluray, meaning that the video quality will not improve but the sound can be upgraded tot lossless audio. Tina Turner and Bee Gees have such releases. These SD blurays have also more storage space so they could do a double pack of Montage and Somewhere on one disc.
Last edited by oakey on Sat 27 Feb 2021, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveid

#72 Post by daveid »

oakey wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 3:55 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021, 3:19 pm

Which current teen will later remember the first song s/he listened to on Spotify or YouTube :eh:
Which current teen will remember anything? They're just organic nodes for redistributing digital disinformation.

leesmapman

#73 Post by leesmapman »

oakey wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021, 9:12 am There is definately room for improvement yes, even though the NTSC DVD is again superior to the PAL release.

Would be great if they would release thrse older DVDs as an SD bluray, meaning that the video quality will not improve but the sound can be upgraded tot lossless audio. Tina Turner and Bee Gees have such releases. These SD blurays have also more storage space so they could do a double pack of Montage and Somewhere on one disc.
Plus, you don't have the "hiccup" of the DVD layer-switch.