Somewhere DVD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
blahblahblah

Somewhere DVD

#1 Post by blahblahblah »

Just bought this from Tesco's for £3.99 absolute bargain as in my opinion it is there best live DVD available.

Recorded in 97 at The Savoy in London, great initimate little gig with a good selection of songs.

At £3.99 an absolute steal!

One of the crowd

Re: Somewhere DVD

#2 Post by One of the crowd »

blahblahblah wrote:Just bought this from Tesco's for £3.99 absolute bargain as in my opinion it is there best live DVD available.

Recorded in 97 at The Savoy in London, great initimate little gig with a good selection of songs.

At £3.99 an absolute steal!
You were robbed.

It cost me £3.73 from my local Tescos!!

joepsb

#3 Post by joepsb »

has the audio track been redone from the 1st release
as the vhs was better than earlier dvd release

One of the crowd

#4 Post by One of the crowd »

No, still sounds shit.
Fishing

Ulrich

#5 Post by Ulrich »

The sound on the Somewhere DVD is absolutely terrible. I never play it.

On Montage the sound is good, but the 1970's picture effects are terrible, so I never play that either.

The DVD release of Performance is great though and the DTS soundtrack is fantastic. :clap:

Hopefully they will release an ordinary concert at some point, maybe like the Release Tour. If I remember correctly it was recorded somewhere (Canal Digital in France?), but sadly not released.

Danger

Live DVD

#6 Post by Danger »

I paid Somewhere about 15 €, and I like it very much. Above all the acustic parts like Rent and The Truck Driver. But for me there are few songs in that DVD. it's without some PSB' classics like West End Girl, It' Alright, What Have I Done To Deserve This? and so on. I like much more Nightlife DVD, great choice of songs about 20 songs played, fantastic sounds, beauty costume (above all the first "act" with the clothes of Nightlife-era). I don't like Performance, I have seen some parts but I don't understand all of clothes changing and the costumes and some metaphors. Threre are too much dancers too.
Next PSB DVD live will be Discovery, but I don't love some parts of the concert above all some choreographies of the dancers.
8)

!

#7 Post by ! »

I got mine from Tesco's too!

Markpro

#8 Post by Markpro »

All the earlier videos should be getting a re-release, I know It Couldn't Happen Here is being released on DVD quite soon ( about time too) but surley Television can be released on DVD and sold on the offical site, I love my TV Vid to bits but would love it more on DVD
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Pet Shop Girl

#9 Post by Pet Shop Girl »

Yes 'Television' is a unique video. I enjoyed it a lot when I first bought it, I still do.

Rent

#10 Post by Rent »

Hm, somewhat unrealistically I also wish their TV performances were made available (preferably on DVD).

Oh another rant. Why on earth did they add those horrendous effects on Montage. It spoiled the whole thing. Thus impossible to recapture the gig. :( Why, why, why?!?!?
--- Coincidence and patience will mend this fatal flaw ---

Pet Shop Girl

#11 Post by Pet Shop Girl »

Rent wrote:Hm, somewhat unrealistically I also wish their TV performances were made available (preferably on DVD).

Oh another rant. Why on earth did they add those horrendous effects on Montage. It spoiled the whole thing. Thus impossible to recapture the gig. :( Why, why, why?!?!?
They wanted to add something unique to the DVD. But instead not too many people enjoyed it at all. There are some that do. :shock:

Paulo

#12 Post by Paulo »

I think it was more to cover up the dodgy/grainy footage.

If you read where the footage was used from (on the back of the DVD cover) there was some from a US concert and some from a European concert.

I'm pretty sure the footage from Europe was from a webcast, hence pretty crap quality. By putting all these lovely flashing lights on top of the footage they hoped no-one would notice.

Pet Shop Girl

#13 Post by Pet Shop Girl »

Paulo wrote:I think it was more to cover up the dodgy/grainy footage.

If you read where the footage was used from (on the back of the DVD cover) there was some from a US concert and some from a European concert.

I'm pretty sure the footage from Europe was from a webcast, hence pretty crap quality. By putting all these lovely flashing lights on top of the footage they hoped no-one would notice.
Perhaps you are right. All the footage is from different shows, you would think that only good quality footage would be used for a DVD .

Rent

#14 Post by Rent »

You may have a point (DVD not with me so can't check)...

But to be honest, and admittedly this is just a personal preference, I would not mind having somewhat crappy footage of my fave band performing, than have it ruined by dodgy effects.

I'm one of the fans who doesn't need elaborate theatrics to be pleased. Just Neil and Chris will do. After all, it is the music/performers that matter. I remember trying to watch the DVD a few months ago and it really was a ruined experience for me.
--- Coincidence and patience will mend this fatal flaw ---

Pet Shop Girl

#15 Post by Pet Shop Girl »

Rent wrote:

You may have a point (DVD not with me so can't check)...

But to be honest, and admittedly this is just a personal preference, I would not mind having somewhat crappy footage of my fave band performing, than have it ruined by dodgy effects.

I'm one of the fans who doesn't need elaborate theatrics to be pleased. Just Neil and Chris will do. After all, it is the music/performers that matter. I remember trying to watch the DVD a few months ago and it really was a ruined experience for me.
I get the same experience when I try to watch it. Watching Its a Sin is still a joy!