No Numb LIVE, no Numb SINGLE?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

No Numb LIVE, no Numb SINGLE?

#1 Post by Luke Colorado » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 3:50 am

Is the fact that Numb wasn't part of the recent setlist a good sign that that Numb WON'T be single 3 (or 4, or 5)?

The Nightlife and Release tours featured all their respective singles, if I remember correctly.

Lucas.

Propertius
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon 29 Dec 2003, 6:45 am
Contact:

#2 Post by Propertius » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 4:16 am

That's a good point. Since "Luna Park" isn't on the set list, either, does that mean we're looking at "Integral" or SAGS as the third single?

Of course, the Performance tour didn't originally include "Being Boring," which had been and the Savoy residency didn't bother with "Single-Bilingual" and only played "Before" intermittently. (I can't for the life of me remember whether A red letter day, the most recent single at the time, was played -- I don't think it was.) But those singles had all already been released by the time of the tour. The forthcoming singles were featured ("Seriously,' "Streets," "Jealousy," "Somewhere.")

The Boys could have a re-tooled set-list in mind for later dates, though, so perhaps the prospective third single will yet surprise us.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 3313
Joined: Mon 08 May 2006, 12:31 am
Contact:

#3 Post by retrofuturist » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 4:51 am

If you want to investigate your hypothesis further, the following matrix should help... http://www.geowayne.com/setlisttable.htm

User avatar
drunk14
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 7:54 pm
Contact:

#4 Post by drunk14 » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 7:14 am

Yes! i wanted write eve same topic....this is strange that psb not played Numb, because they should promote this song.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

User avatar
jamie1978
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun 14 Dec 2003, 10:23 am
Contact:

#5 Post by jamie1978 » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 9:04 am

What the hell are you on about?

They have NOT stated that Numb will be a single.

Numb is NOT single material and is unrepresentative of the album.

There are FAR better tracks they could release in its place.

So why 'should' they promote a song they have NO INTENTION of releasing as a single? Has it occured to you that perhaps they 'should not' bother promoting a song which is as dreary, tiresome and un-single like as Numb when they are not going to release it as a single?

I hardly think appealing to MOR power ballad fans is going to do them any favours.

profile790
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue 04 May 2004, 6:40 pm

#6 Post by profile790 » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 10:36 am

Nor I'm With Stupid nor Minimal was played during the BBC Radio 2 concert. Yet both tracks are singles. A few years ago, Pet Shop Boys played 'Positive Role Model' live. Yet the song was never released as a single.

In other words: concert setlists do not necessarily reflect single choices.

User avatar
andmaste
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed 19 Nov 2003, 9:02 am
Contact:

#7 Post by andmaste » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:11 pm

stats-freak wrote:Nor I'm With Stupid nor Minimal was played during the BBC Radio 2 concert. Yet both tracks are singles. A few years ago, Pet Shop Boys played 'Positive Role Model' live. Yet the song was never released as a single.

In other words: concert setlists do not necessarily reflect single choices.
i was going to write the same...
Andrea
Pet Shop Boys: Covers & Quotations
www.psbcq.it

User avatar
Butters
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 10:33 pm
Contact:

#8 Post by Butters » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:19 pm

Based on the Stockholm audience's reaction, Minimal should not be then next single. Integral should.
Just tax the stupid people!

User avatar
E-Mail Vampire
Posts: 1491
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 8:17 am
Contact:

#9 Post by E-Mail Vampire » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:41 pm

Yes but at one point Positive Role Model was considered for a single.

User avatar
adampsb
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue 09 Aug 2005, 6:41 pm
Contact:

#10 Post by adampsb » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 12:42 pm

jamie1978 wrote:What the hell are you on about?

They have NOT stated that Numb will be a single.

Numb is NOT single material and is unrepresentative of the album.

There are FAR better tracks they could release in its place.

So why 'should' they promote a song they have NO INTENTION of releasing as a single? Has it occured to you that perhaps they 'should not' bother promoting a song which is as dreary, tiresome and un-single like as Numb when they are not going to release it as a single?

I hardly think appealing to MOR power ballad fans is going to do them any favours.
I think Numb is an excellent track and does fit well on the album but it is NOT a PSB single It doesn't fit as one. I think we are likely looking at Inetgral and Psychological as the next 2 singles
It's gonna be alright.

Thank You, Goodnight

Check out remixes 251 & 254 on U-Myx

User avatar
jamie1978
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun 14 Dec 2003, 10:23 am
Contact:

#11 Post by jamie1978 » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 2:49 pm

How exactly does Numb fit well on the album?

Fundamental is, in general, a fairly dark 'state of the nation' album with some excellent PSB songwriting in evidence.

Most of the songs are very much a social/political commentary - fear, paranoia, abuse of power etc.

Then there is this second rate MOR power ballad called Numb in the middle - it does NOT fit at all, its completely the odd one out. And, its a dreary load of shite.

User avatar
mindboy
Posts: 1302
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 11:46 pm
Contact:

#12 Post by mindboy » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 3:03 pm

stats-freak wrote:Nor I'm With Stupid nor Minimal was played during the BBC Radio 2 concert. Yet both tracks are singles. A few years ago, Pet Shop Boys played 'Positive Role Model' live. Yet the song was never released as a single.

In other words: concert setlists do not necessarily reflect single choices.
They chose only tracks which have an orchestral score for BBC2 concert, except for West End girls (for well known reasons and it was an encore).;)
Chris Heath: Why you're surfing?
Chris Lowe: Coz we can!
Neil Tennant: Exactly. :D
(Performance commentary during What have I done to deserve this??)

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

#13 Post by Luke Colorado » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 3:04 pm

jamie1978 wrote:What the hell are you on about?
I know every post needs a bitchy response so your reply is appreciated, but to answer the question:

There has been rumors/conjecture/discussion for weeks regarding Numb being a likely next single. Look it up.

Lucas.

profile790
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue 04 May 2004, 6:40 pm

#14 Post by profile790 » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 3:40 pm

jamie1978 wrote:How exactly does Numb fit well on the album?

Fundamental is, in general, a fairly dark 'state of the nation' album with some excellent PSB songwriting in evidence.

Most of the songs are very much a social/political commentary - fear, paranoia, abuse of power etc.

Then there is this second rate MOR power ballad called Numb in the middle - it does NOT fit at all, its completely the odd one out. And, its a dreary load of shite.
Numb is about pain. So it fits perfectly on this album. Fear, paranoia, pain, abuse of power... - I don't spot an odd one out :roll:

Nickname
Posts: 6176
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: No Numb LIVE, no Numb SINGLE?

#15 Post by Nickname » Mon 19 Jun 2006, 3:41 pm

karmavore wrote:Is the fact that Numb wasn't part of the recent setlist a good sign that that Numb WON'T be single 3 (or 4, or 5)?

The Nightlife and Release tours featured all their respective singles, if I remember correctly.

Lucas.
I believe the main reason not to include "Numb" in the setlist is because this song has many orchestral arrangments. You can't perform this song without a big orchestra (at least the Fundamental version). And, of course, they prefer to perform their own songs (overall if they have to perform famous versions of no-PSB songs like Always on my mind, Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you) and Go West).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 10 guests