Things PSB did right with Fundamental

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Danimal

Things PSB did right with Fundamental

#1 Post by Danimal » Wed 07 Jun 2006, 2:16 am

Well, I'm sure this will beget a "Things PSB did wrong with Fundamental" thread any second now, but I like to be positive if possible, so here's my opinion on the things PSB did right with Fundamental:

1. Work with a single, talented producer throughtout the entire album. It seems to me that the post-Very experiments working with several producers for Bilingual and Nightlife made for uneven albums.

2. Take extra time to write songs. Does anyone rememeber that they indicated they had written enough songs for an album during the PopArt sessions and were planning on bringing an album out in 2005, then changed their minds during 2004 in favor of writing more? Although, I'm sure Potemkin had something to do with this decision.

3. Release this album coming off of an acclaimed musical/art project that wasn't obesessed with sexuality. Even though I'm sure they probably didn't sell more than 40,000 copies of the soundtrack worldwide, the Potemkin project certainly raised their profile in a postive way after the whole CTH debacle and was something that everyone could enjoy.

4. Take extra time to prepare for the promotion. Although most of us were impatient at the time, the extra six weeks EMI took to role out Fundamental certainly allowed them to arrange tons of cool stuff like the BBC concert and allowed the boys to contribute to the Robbie Williams effort, both of which can only help album sales in the short and long terms.

Thoughts?

glennjridge

#2 Post by glennjridge » Wed 07 Jun 2006, 4:53 am

I dont know how much is trevor horn on this CD as far as input.
I feel songwise and production just going by my ears is its more blatantly beautiful than most of their CD's.

someone started a "skipping" thread ,and for me, its the CD where I do the least amount of skipping. and in some cases like luna park and minimal I find myself forward and rewinding alot listening to certain parts over and over and overagain. such as those beautiful quiet parts on luna park.

I think live, those parts are really going to shine with the lighting and such.they are kinda trippy for the PSB. I would like to hear most of these songs done in the tour. thats how much I like fundamental.

psb-freak

#3 Post by psb-freak » Wed 07 Jun 2006, 8:47 am

Release Integral.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

Drem

#4 Post by Drem » Wed 07 Jun 2006, 9:53 am

Edited: Sorry, i'm just make mistake with title and first sentence... I'm disagree with a fourth point.
But as for the rest, i'm full of positive!
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

No Muscle Mary

#5 Post by No Muscle Mary » Wed 07 Jun 2006, 11:00 am

Wrote a clever album with political themes. Always wins newspaper inches and gains credibility. After all, any old boyband can write a love song.
Churlicious

profile790

#6 Post by profile790 » Wed 07 Jun 2006, 11:35 am

1: They hired Trevor Horn to produce it: excellent choice.
2: They picked a good lead-single AND an even better second single.
3: Little Britain appeared in the video.
4: Farrow designed the sleeve.
5: There's a good promotion campaign in their target countries, with tv-appearances and the great BBC radio concert.

Good things left to do:
1: Make sure the tracklisting for Minimal is attractive
2: Also promote the album in other countries

jasonjohn

#7 Post by jasonjohn » Wed 07 Jun 2006, 1:34 pm

They resisited electro-clash or anything painfully trendy

They release an album with a few strong high tempo tracks, but is centred on some lovely ballads

(Hopefully another Very-style album in the near future... they released Very when grunge was big... so a bright, back-to-basics album might similarly do well in the current gloomy climate)

retrofuturist

#8 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 15 Jun 2006, 6:46 am

jasonjohn wrote:They resisited electro-clash or anything painfully trendy
I think more importantly they resisted electroclash because it is SO 2002 and now gets bagged by the music media. Early talk about the album was that it was going to be very electro.

I loved electroclash, but there was only so far that such a restrictive genre could go, especially as applied to pop music, which is the PSB modus operandi. Disco 3 and Flamboyant gave a nod and a wink to electroclash, but that's probably as much electroclash as we'll ever see from the PSB.

I agree with many of the "good things" outlined in this thread.

Shelton

#9 Post by Shelton » Thu 15 Jun 2006, 11:28 am

some good points there Danimal

stew

#10 Post by stew » Thu 15 Jun 2006, 12:32 pm

neil is wearing a hat so looks a lot lot younger on TOTP!
also taking the piss out of blair and buh on the first singl e helped!
the main thing was the madaonna mix that started the year!