Fugitive: Love Song for 9/11 Terrorists

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ArseSpanker

Re: Fugitive: Love Song for 9/11 Terrorists

#61 Post by ArseSpanker »

Syncratic wrote:I'm pissed.
Hello.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect or represent those of its author.

Undertaker

Re: Fugitive: Love Song for 9/11 Terrorists

#62 Post by Undertaker »

Syncratic wrote:, and I don't feel it 'romanticises' terrorism, but emphasies it's futility and pointlessness, in a life which in many ways is meaningless.

You know what, you are spot on there. Thats exactly what it's about.

Dave

patrick

#63 Post by patrick »

Monty-- wrote:Stop taking offence.
I'm not offended.
And where this word 'directly' comes from is beyond me. Heh, and you're the one talking about manipulation. Yes, I was effected in more ways then one. And so was everybody else I knew.
I'm pretty willing to bet you weren't. The only people with any real claim to be affected are those who endured the attacks or lost loved ones. For most of us it was a cynical manipulation to whip up mock outrage. It's like talking to someone from Wyoming who was "deeply affected" by the Oklahoma City bombing. People have lost all sense of perspective.

Monty--

#64 Post by Monty-- »

patrick wrote:
Monty-- wrote:Stop taking offence.
I'm not offended.
And where this word 'directly' comes from is beyond me. Heh, and you're the one talking about manipulation. Yes, I was effected in more ways then one. And so was everybody else I knew.
I'm pretty willing to bet you weren't. The only people with any real claim to be affected are those who endured the attacks or lost loved ones. For most of us it was a cynical manipulation to whip up mock outrage. It's like talking to someone from Wyoming who was "deeply affected" by the Oklahoma City bombing. People have lost all sense of perspective.
Didn't say I was 'deeply' effected. And I wouldn't put the bet on, if i were you.

patrick

#65 Post by patrick »

Monty-- wrote:And I wouldn't put the bet on, if i were you.
You knew someone who died in the attacks? My condolences.

Eldritch

#66 Post by Eldritch »

*bump*

See, Desch'. Your thread wasn't removed, it's here.
Click click drone

dannii

#67 Post by dannii »

I learned that in most cases it's better not to know what the PSB song is about
there are so many songs that are musically awesome, but when I read the meanings - they were unattractive to me (Numb, Fugitive, My october symphony, Later tonight...)
so, I decided not to search for song's meanings anymore in future :)

Vicki

#68 Post by Vicki »

dannii wrote:I learned that in most cases it's better not to know what the PSB song is about
there are so many songs that are musically awesome, but when I read the meanings - they were unattractive to me (Numb, Fugitive, My october symphony, Later tonight...)
so, I decided not to search for song's meanings anymore in future :)
You still think 'Later tonight' is about masturbation? :lol: Don't READ the meanings written by other people, try to FEEL them yourself and you'll like them better. Or read Neil's interviews about lyrics.

As for me, all the subjects of the PSB songs are very interesting to me, they're just great, you always discover something new. It's not the usual kind of pop lyrics 'I love you, you love me, let's dance everyone!', it's much further, even if it's '70, 80, 90, party' - there's always at least hidden sense in them.

glennjridge

#69 Post by glennjridge »

weird coincidence .Deshanel mentioned the name Martin Amis in this thread and I watched a movie last night called "the rachel papers" about some young british kid trying to hook up with women and the writers name in the credits was Martin Amis.

I dont think they put it on the CD as it doesnt fit the CD sound wise not because of controversy.besides,I would welcome a little controversy to drive up interest so its too bad it wasnt on. get newspapers talking or arguing about it. thats good press no matter how you look at it.

dannii

#70 Post by dannii »

Vicki wrote:Don't READ the meanings written by other people, try to FEEL them yourself and you'll like them better. Or read Neil's interviews about lyrics.

As for me, all the subjects of the PSB songs are very interesting to me, they're just great, you always discover something new. It's not the usual kind of pop lyrics 'I love you, you love me, let's dance everyone!', it's much further, even if it's '70, 80, 90, party' - there's always at least hidden sense in them.
thank you for such optimism, I was doing that (feeling them in my own way) until I read reviews wheter they were by Neil or someone else. I think most of Wayne's commentaries ruined my impressions! Damn you, Wayne! :)
I was listening to Fugitive whole day and enjoyed in song so much, i thought the lyrics are about two lovers in relationship but when I read Wayne's review and found out that it's written from terrorist perspective, I can't listen to it anymore :cry:
Vicki wrote:You still think 'Later tonight' is about masturbation? :lol:
yeah lol :oops:

Vicki

#71 Post by Vicki »

dannii wrote:
Vicki wrote:Don't READ the meanings written by other people, try to FEEL them yourself and you'll like them better. Or read Neil's interviews about lyrics.

thank you for such optimism, I was doing that (feeling them in my own way) until I read reviews wheter they were by Neil or someone else. I think most of Wayne's commentaries ruined my impressions! Damn you, Wayne! :)
I was listening to Fugitive whole day and enjoyed in song so much, i thought the lyrics are about two lovers in relationship but when I read Wayne's review and found out that it's written from terrorist perspective, I can't listen to it anymore :cry:
Vicki wrote:You still think 'Later tonight' is about masturbation? :lol:
yeah lol :oops:
It doesn't have any real connection with that, actually. So I don't think there's a point to take Wayne's point of view.

Fugitive is great. It can also be about two people who love each other and have to fight together and know it'll be their last battle. If you don't like the terrorism context of the song, imagine it's from someone else's point of view.

jules

#72 Post by jules »

I think it can be undestood as the love we have for a brother (who might be dead)
but i don't know really

diana

#73 Post by diana »

I think Neil thinks terrorist are thinking, as they are for instance in a airplain to let it crash down, about power, about heaven and about their " brothers" all over the world.
That is in his view the fundamental way a terrorist think. Notice that he don't mention sisters. Terrorists don't care about sisters.

Dreaming of the Queen
visiting for tea
You and her and I
and Lady Di

patrick

#74 Post by patrick »

diana wrote:Terrorists don't care about sisters.
Some do. Women serve in the Israeli military, for example.

Padster

#75 Post by Padster »

I think you are all reading far too much into this. It's a great track, great lyrics and can be interpreted in several different ways.

Just don't fall foul of the wayward fans who always read to much into the lyrics - may be someone will tell me what "I want a dog" was all about ? Gees, get a grip !!! :lol: