Re-evaluating Agenda One Month Later

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
York Minster

Re-evaluating Agenda One Month Later

#1 Post by York Minster » Tue 14 May 2019, 11:13 am

Maybe I was too harsh on Agenda.

What strikes me after repeated listens on decent speakers is how full of sound these tracks are compared to tracks on Super. While Stupidity and Rich aren't traditional electro-PSB, they do have a lot of PSB musical elements floating along through the tracks. Putting Super back on after listening to Agenda, it sounds thin and listless. And the choice of drum machines and beats generic, like half-way to David Guetta on some tracks.

The trouble with Agenda is the vast superiority of Social Media over the other tracks. On Social Media would seem to be a lost Behavior b-side, fitting in nicely alongside Bet She's Not Your Girlfriend or It Must Be Obvious (sans the topic of course, as that was 1990). I want to heart Social Media 10 times in a row. And I definitely want a 10 minute mix of it (anyone?). The other tracks are good, but they tire much more quickly. Stupidity is something like a b-side from the Behaviour/Release/Elyisum spectrum. And Rich is of the Yes era. Child is maybe a lost work from a side project, it would have fit in with the ballet, or been a b-side to a Fundamental single.

tl;dr Initially too harsh on Agenda. Agenda has more elements of PSB than Super. Social Media is too good, ruins the experience.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Pod

Re: Re-evaluating Agenda One Month Later

#2 Post by Pod » Tue 14 May 2019, 11:44 am

I think now that Agenda stands on its own two feet pretty well. I see it as a snapshot of the times we live in and not as ‘filler’ between albums. The tracks do vary in quality - I feel ‘on social media’ is the strongest track and try as I might I simply can’t like ‘the forgotten child’ - sounds like Wiedersehen. No bad thing for some, but not for me. I love the pomp of wawgtdatr and the cutting lyrics of stupidity. I have grown to love the EP much more now I have it on physical format - make of that what you will?!?
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Marie loves PSB

#3 Post by Marie loves PSB » Tue 14 May 2019, 12:39 pm

For me to be honest I am not keen on all the other tracks and only bought it for "On Social Media". I really like that song. :up:

alig

#4 Post by alig » Tue 14 May 2019, 6:31 pm

Still proper pish.
"John 3:16."

Pod

#5 Post by Pod » Wed 15 May 2019, 12:25 pm

alig wrote:
Tue 14 May 2019, 6:31 pm
Still proper pish.
Are you a professional critic? :clap: :lol:
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Gabby

#6 Post by Gabby » Wed 15 May 2019, 10:41 pm

Pod wrote:
Wed 15 May 2019, 12:25 pm
alig wrote:
Tue 14 May 2019, 6:31 pm
Still proper pish.
Are you a professional critic? :clap: :lol:
"Pish" is a technical term I'm sure :D

FWIW I think Agenda is great...

PSB-90

#7 Post by PSB-90 » Wed 15 May 2019, 11:23 pm

FWIW I think Agenda is great...
Me too :)

retrofuturist

#8 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 16 May 2019, 2:30 am

Greetings,

Still not a fan.

Musically, Social Media is alright, but I prefer when they tackle internet communications from a more seedy perspective (e.g. Gin And Jag, Get It Online) rather than from a pretentious/elitist perspective.

Forgotten Child is alright, but feels half finished, and stands out only by virtue of its comparative subtlety to the preceding tracks.

I have nothing positive to say about the other two tracks, so rather than be lambasted by those who are intolerant of anything short of 6 star reviews (side question: when did this become like an Erasure forum?), I'll leave it there.

Retro. :)

Gabby

#9 Post by Gabby » Thu 16 May 2019, 3:25 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu 16 May 2019, 2:30 am
Greetings,

Still not a fan.

Musically, Social Media is alright, but I prefer when they tackle internet communications from a more seedy perspective (e.g. Gin And Jag, Get It Online) rather than from a pretentious/elitist perspective.

Forgotten Child is alright, but feels half finished, and stands out only by virtue of its comparative subtlety to the preceding tracks.

I have nothing positive to say about the other two tracks, so rather than be lambasted by those who are intolerant of anything short of 6 star reviews (side question: when did this become like an Erasure forum?), I'll leave it there.

Retro. :)
I love Get It Online and I certainly agree that "seedier" PSB tracks are usually more up my street. I think life would be incredibly boring if we all agreed on PSB songs and I think Neil and Chris would likewise find it rather dull if the fans were in agreement over everything they do. It keeps everyone lively and fresh!